Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Temporary House Cat



Yep, that's Sassy... in the house! Poor kitty has contracted ring worm (which isn't actually a worm, it's a fungus that gets on the animal's skin. But it's still gross). I don't know where she got it from in the dead of winter, but she's missing a huge patch of fur on her back from where she has been scratching the itch.

What's the remedy for this icky condition? Bi-weekly dips in a lime/sulfer solution.

Her first treatment was Saturday and it went pretty well. She wasn't perfect (no cat likes to be soaking wet), but she didn't try to claw my eyes out or kill me. Since it was 10 degrees outside, she got to hang out in the cat carrier by the heater for a few hours until she dried off.

Why confine her? I don't know how well behaved she would be in the house (I like my furniture without claw marks) and she was stinky after being doused in lime/sulfer solution.

In addition to treating the cat, I also wash and sanitize the old fleece bathrobe she uses for a bed after her bath (thank goodness the washer has a sanitize feature).

Treatment #2 is scheduled for tonight. After that, only 6 more dips to go!


No comments: